Click on each heading to view the resources.
- BC Cancer Agency: Pain and Symptom Management Clinic This program helps improve the quality of life for individuals living with cancer and for their caregivers. Its program is available to Powell River residents by referral from physician. This support is based in Vancouver. The first appointment is in person at a BC Cancer Agency centre. After that, there may be some telephone follow-up. They encourage patients to be connected with their GP to assist with maintaining their treatment plan. On rare occasions, they work via a tele health video link. Once a patient is no longer ambulatory and able to come into the clinic, the care is transferred to Home and Community Care or an inpatient department. Phone: 1-800-663-3333, Ext. 672645 bccancer.bc.ca/our-services/services/painsymptom-management
- Cancer Society of Canada Available to cancer patients, caregivers or anyone who needs help understanding cancer and finding community services. This Toll-free service is accessible in multiple languages. It includes cancer information service, community services locator and much more. Phone: 1-888-939-3333, cancer.ca
- Cancer Chat Canada Professionally-led online support groups for Canadians affected by cancer. cancerchat.desouzainstitute.com
- CancerConnection CancerConnection matches patients or caregivers with a trained volunteer with a similar cancer experience. Phone: 1-888-939-3333
- CancerConnection.ca CancerConnection.ca is an online community for patients and caregivers to share experiences and find support. Available 24- hours a day. cancerconnection.ca
- The Canadian Cancer Society operates affordable lodges across the province, offering 24-hour support on premises from caring volunteers and staff and a host of amenities.
- Jean C Barber Lodge Conveniently located across from the BC Cancer Agency and within walking distance to the Vancouver General Hospital, Eye Care Center, and Skin Care Clinic. There are plenty of shops and restaurants in the area and it is minutes away from downtown Vancouver. The lodge also has easy access to transit. A pay parking lot is available across the street with hourly, daily, weekly and monthly rates. Address: 575 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4C3 Reservations: Phone: (604) 879-9131/Fax: (604) 675-7131
- Vancouver Island Lodge Located across from the Royal Jubilee Hospital and within walking distance to the BC Cancer Agency. Set in a residential area of Victoria, there is easy access to public transit, shopping, banking and entertainment. Limited paid parking is available on site; reservations are recommended. Address: 2202 Richmond Road Victoria, BC V8R 4R5 Reservations: Phone: (250) 592-2662 /Fax: (250) 592-7616
- Camp Goodtimes A summer recreation program that provides a unique summer experience for children and teens affected by cancer and their families. Set in the scenic landscape of Loon Lake in Maple Ridge, Camp Goodtimes provides a safety-focused, fun, recreational program at no cost to participants. Visit campgoodtimes.org for more information and to apply online.
- Financial Help The Canadian Cancer Society provides limited, short-term financial assistance to cover a portion of clients’ cancer-related transportation and accommodation expenses. In addition, through their partnership with the BC Cancer Agency (BCCA), they can assist clients with a portion of the cost of selected prescription medications that manage symptoms related to cancer treatment. Phone: 1-888-933-3333 http://www.cancer.ca/en/support-and-services/support-services/financial-help-bc/?region=bc
- Wigs and Prostheses Canadian Cancer Society’s Wig and Breast Prosthesis banks provide a wide range of donated wigs, headwear, permanent prostheses and bras to cancer patients throughout BC and the Yukon who have undergone surgery and cannot afford the cost of a wig or prosthesis. Phone: 1-888-933-3333
- Quit Smoking A free, confidential service for smokers who are ready to quit smoking. Phone: 1-877-455-2233 quitnow.ca
- When Your Child Has Cancer Information for parents with a child that is diagnosed with cancer. Phone: 1-888-933-3333 http://www.cancer.ca/en/support-and-services/support-services/when-your-child-has-cancer/?region=bc
- Powell River Breast Cancer Support Group Reach To Recovery: Hospital and home visits to recently diagnosed breast cancer patients, one-on-one counselling and information. Phone: 1-604-485-6114
- Canadian Virtual Hospice Information and support on palliative care and endof-life care, loss and grief. virtualhospice.ca
- BC Bereavement Helpline Free, confidential service for anyone in BC dealing with loss. The service is self-referral. Help line run by volunteers who connect to callers to the most appropriate grief support services within the province of BC. Phone: 1-877-779-2223 bcbereavementhelpline.com
This information was put together by the Powell River Division of Family Practice.
These brochures may be helpful to you if you are experiencing grief:
We have over 200 books and resources available for clients, families, health care providers and community members. The resources include topics related to grief and loss, living and coping with serious illness, and information for caregivers. View the list here,
- Ambulance Service 604-485-9112
- Angel Flight – to lower mainland or V.I. 1-250-818-0288 (For cancer patients unable to travel by conventional means to hospitals, clinics, etc.)
- Breast Cancer Support Group Lorraine Matheson 604-485-6114 (Meetings Mon. 4:45-6:30pm in Grief Point School gym)
- Compassionate Friends (Self-help bereavement group for parents who have lost a child) Shannon Stevens 604-483-3108
- FETCH: For Everything That’s Community Health
- HandDart (1 day notice required) 604-483-2008
- Kiwanis Life Line 604-485-0499
- Powell River Community Health Services 604-485-3310 (Home Care, Nursing, Home Support Services, Social Worker)
- Powell River General Hospital 604-485-3211
- Red Cross Loan Cupboard 604-485-3211 (Volunteer organization providing home medical alert system for people living alone, who are elderly or have a medical disability).
- Stubberfield Funeral Home 604-485-4112
- Texada Island Health Centre 604 486 7525
- Nurse Line 1-866-215-4700
- Wheels for Wellness Society 1-250-338-0196 (Volunteer transportation from Comox ferry to non-emergency medical appointments on Vancouver Island)
This website may be helpful to a child experiencing grief: http://kidsgrief.ca