Become a volunteer
“As a hospice volunteer, I receive the most heartfelt experience by listening, giving the gift of time, compassion, a hug and holding the hand of someone during an important time of their life.” – Patti, PRHS Volunteer
Support Hospice Care in Powell River
We have opportunities for client, administrative and event volunteers.
Volunteers are essential to providing excellent hospice care. We have over 50 trained volunteers working with patients and families in their homes, longterm care settings, and in hospital. Our volunteers provide a listening ear, companionship, and grief support. We also have a bedside singing program and provide vigils for those in the last 72 hours of life.
Client Care Volunteers:
Client care volunteers are patient, compassionate, non-judgemental and are good at listening. Care volunteers are carefully screened in order to maintain an excellent standard of care. Volunteers who work directly with patients and families are required to complete the following steps:
- Application indicating your interest in volunteering, including references. Download the form and either fill it in electronically, save it and email it to us, OR print, complete and mail (mailing address is on the form).
- Clear criminal record check. All volunteers must get a criminal record check. Online applications are free. Click here to access the request form online. Use the access code: U6FFBD6EG4. In-person applications at the local RCMP station are $28. Use Party ID#: 1618534 and pay the $28 fee. For additional Information see: www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/criminal-records-review/index.htm
- 28-hour training program (offered 1 – 2xs per year)
- Interview with the coordinator
- Attend monthly volunteer meetings to enhance skills and learn from others
- Yearly flu vaccination (or option of wearing a mask with clients)
- Oath of confidentiality
Administration and Events Volunteers:
Administrative and event volunteers assist with mailing campaigns, donor thank-you calls, fundraising events or educational workshops. If you have a special skill to contribute, please contact the coordinator. Anna Byrne, coordinator (at) prhospice.org, 604 223 7309